Monday, June 3, 2013

Designer Sarees

Designer Sarees Definition

Source(google.com.pk)
Indian Designer Sarees remind me of pulp fiction
Indian designer sarees are a big rage and yes, they are probably spun by some of the best and most talented designers in the fashion industry. You can just walk into any fine saree shop and you will be confused by the rich range of Indian designer sarees that you can choose from. There's just so much to choose from. Hats off to these designers who have given Indian saree wear a new lease of life and lots of incredibly creative options to choose from. I respect that. However, it doesn't work for me because I am old fashioned and narrow minded in my thinking about saree wear.

Personally, I love to wear Kancheevaram sarees and sorry, I am too old fashioned to ever consider wearing an Indian designer saree. I have a decent collection of Kancheevaram sarees and I can never resist them. The flip side is that most of them are very heavy and therefore, it is difficult to wear them with grace and poise. Most of my friends admire Kancheevaram sarees but when it comes to wearing them, they don't want to carry so much 'weight' on their frames so they opt for the Indian designer sarees. Till date, the Indian designer sarees have neither caught my interest nor my curiosity. Unfortunately, I see them in the same light that I see pulp fiction.

Classic Kancheevaram Sarees are like poetry in silk
The classic Kancheevarams win my heart totally. A Kancheevaram saree makes me go dizzy in the head because I can never resist the sheer richness of the timeless, beautifully crafted Kancheevaram. When I see a Kancheevaram, I can just close my eyes and get into the heart and soul of its weaver because you can experience the weaver's pain and joy in the design of the Kancheevaram saree. I believe that every thread of the Kancheevaram saree is crafted with an artist's dream of accomplishing something remarkable for another human being and it represents the artist's passion for exquisite details. It's like being able to wear a poem, not merely a spun garment. 
The sari is usually worn over a petticoat (called lahaṅgā or lehenga in the north; langa, pavada, or pavadai in the south; chaniyo, parkar, ghaghra, or ghagaro in the west; and shaya in eastern India), with a blouse known as a choli or ravika forming the upper garment. The blouse has short sleeves and a low neck and is usually cropped at the midriff, and as such is particularly well-suited for wear in the sultry South Asian summers. Cholis may be backless or of a halter neck style. These are usually more dressy, with plenty of embellishments such as mirrors or embroidery, and may be worn on special occasions. Women in the armed forces, when wearing a sari uniform, don a short-sleeved shirt tucked in at the waist. The sari developed as a garment of its own in both South and North India at around the same time, and is in popular culture an epitome of Indian culture. The sari signified the grace of Indian women adequately displaying the curves at the right places.

Designer Sarees

Designer Sarees

Designer Sarees

Designer Sarees

Designer Sarees

Designer Sarees

Designer Sarees

Designer Sarees

Designer Sarees

Designer Sarees

Designer Sarees

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...